Monday, August 18, 2008

Baden Jagers 1806


Baden Jagers, circa 1806, from Pontonnier Miniatures patrol the woods. Trees from K&M.

Last week I reported on the progress that I was making on the Baden Jagers that I purchased from Pontoonier Miniatures at this year's Historicon convention and promised to post some pictures. So here they are. The picture above depicts the contents of three boxes of 4 figures. The command box is "NBD16" Jager Battalion Command and includes four figures (officer in great coat, a musician with a horn, and two NCOs waving and pointing their arms). The other box is "NBD18" Jagers Skirmishing and also contains four figures (one each of standing loading, standing firing, kneeling loading and kneeling firing). So it appears that you can "pair up" your jagers so that one is firing and one is loading, both in kneeling and standing poses.

I don't recall the prices per box, but the figure of $10.00 per box of four seems to stick in my memory, but don't quote me on that as I can't accurately state the price. The figures appear to be compatible with Elite Miniatures in terms of size and sculpting style. They have a thin appearance which gives them a look of realism, so I really like the Baden Jagers. The line infantry are even nicer, but I have not had the opportunity to paint any of them yet.

The contact information is :

Pontoonier Miniatures LLC
PO Box 11936
Shorewood, Wisconsin 53211 USA
www.pontoonierminiatures.com (web site is still under construction the last time that I checked).

Here are some close up shots:


NCO - from Baden Jager Command box NBD16


Baden Jager Standing Firing


Baden Jager Standing Loading


Baden Jager Kneeling and Loading

My overall impression of this new range of figures is highly favorable. The detail is very good and it is easy to pick out things such as buttons, cartouche emblems and the detail on the helmets. As stated earlier, their proportions are such that they look like real people in miniature and they are designed to use with Elite Miniature. The faces are nicely rendered, so in this they differ from the Elite (which go for a more "impressionist" look to them).

I am looking forward to having some time to tackle the battalion of line infantry that I also bought at Historicon. When I spoke to the proprietors of the company at Historicon, they indicated that they would focus on the various German Confederation nations that were allied to the French during the Napoleonic Wars. I look forward to seeing more products from this company, especially the Baden light cavalry and artillery.

8 comments:

  1. finally someone focusing on my favourite "confederation of the Rhine" armies, thanks for the pics mate

    cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice work, the officer at the back seems quite severe, he only needs a monocle to finish off the effect.

    How large will your Baden army be?

    Will

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please don't forget that you promised us an account (with pictures) of the second day of the Jacobite battle.


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  4. I kind of missed the target on the right eye of the jager officer and need to redo it. Painting eyes on these figures was a bit difficult due to the positioning of the helmet. In fact, I only did eyes for a couple of figures.

    The size of the Baden contingent is still open. I like the figures and want to see how the line infantry paints before doing any more. I could see having a brigade of 3 or 4 btns plus some jagers and artillery. I'd really like to paint some Baden cavalry so I hope that the company comes out with them soon.

    My next posting will be some pix of the IR18 Prinz von Preussen battalion that I recently painted. After that, I can get back to part 2 of the Jacobite battle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice figures and a lovely paint job. I agree, the officer in the bicorne looks a real Tartar!

    The advantage of the Baden army is, historically it was never very large, so there's a realistic chance to collect the entire force.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want some.

    The figures are inspiring enough to start another project.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definately sharp looking troops.

    Great that some company is finally getting around to tackling the 'alternate' troops that served in Germany. Since so many of them marched into Russia in 1812, making them critical to my 2012 planning.

    I will definately be taking a closer look!

    ReplyDelete