Monday, February 16, 2009

Horse Grenadiers

Today was Presidents' Day in the United States and so that meant that I had a long three day weekend; and that usually means lots of painting time. So over the weekend, I completed the third squadron of the Hinchcliffe Austrians, cleaned and glued 60 Minden Austrians to penny bases, and started on a squadron of 12 Althann horse grenadiers (Crusader figures). I estimate that I logged nearly six hours of painting today and nearly completed the horse grenadiers today, save for finishing their horses. That's not too shabby.

I started the day around 11 AM and painted for two and a half hours until 1:30PM. Then I ran some errands, walked the dogs to stretch my legs and did some reading with my daughter in the afternoon. Around 4PM, it was back to the painting table for another hour's work before dinner. Then I did another hour from 6:30 to 7:30PM, helped put the Princess to bed, and painted some more until 9PM, when I took another break to watch some television with the Missus. Walked the dogs again, and then finished off the day with another hour of painting from 11PM to Midnight. Whew! That's enough for today.

I expect that I have another evening's worth of work to complete the horses and then the Althann Horse Grenadiers will be finished. Althann is the only Austrian dragoon regiment to wear white coats. I plan to have four squadrons of horse grenadiers and each squadron will have a different uniform color: green, dark blue, red and white.

It looks like I am going to have enough time to do one more squadron (the fourth) of the Hinchcliffe De Ville cuirassiers before our big Leuthen game on February 28th.

6 comments:

  1. Jim, you a machine and an inspiration to us all. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed . . . but I still want pictures.


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second that! :-)

    Wow! Busy and productive! Makes me feel like a slug. I didn't get a whole lot done this long weekend. Mostly working on getting some minis ready for painting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I added the yellow edging on the grenadier mitre bag this evening, but didn't get to the horses. For a change of pace, I pried off the figures from the bases of two 30-figure Austrian regiments that I'm converting over to single base BAR basing. They will be repainted slightly and become the Baden Durlach regiment. The figures are old Warrior British that someone painted as Austrians and Hungarians. This is a quick way to add another regiment to the game at the end of the month.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Any chance of a close up picture of the Warrior Miniatures? They seem quite inexpensive, so I'm keen to see what they look like.
    I checked their web site, but couldn't see a decent picture of tem. How well do they mix with other makes like Minden or Crusader?

    ReplyDelete