Saturday, January 9, 2016

Gyulai Musketeer Regiment


Hungarian Regiment Gyulai (click all pictures to enlarge the view)

I recently received and based a regiment of Minden Hungarian Musketeers, painted by Alex Akers, to add to my collection for the Kolin game at this year's SYWA Convention on March 31, 2016 in South Bend, Indiana.

Combined with the Josef Esterhazy regiment that I already have, I now have an official "Hungarian Brigade of two regiments = four battalions. In my set up, each regiment gets one 3-pounder regimental or battalion gun model. I like all of the new cannon models that Rob Baker made for Fife & Drum, but to my way of thinking, his Austrian 3-pounder is the most elegant of all the cannon in the range. One interetesting thing to note, the Austrians were way ahead of everyone else in that they standardized the wheels of all of their artillery - every cannon used the same wheels. There is also a standard smaller wheel that was used for limbers and for the front wheels of the four wheel ammo wagon.


Austrian 3-pound regimental cannon from Fife & Drum Miniatures


I haven't had time to paint all of the Austrians and Prussians that I need for the game, so I recruited Alex to help me with the Austrians while I concentrated on the Prussians.


I also put together a temporary photo booth so that I can have a better looking background for my pictures. An old blue towel or a faded sheet of blue paper doesn't really do the job anymore. The long view, below, depicts the photo booth. Compare it to the picture at the top of this post.

Long view of the photo booth that I set up to create better back grounds for my pictures.





ggg

13 comments:

  1. Excellent Hungarians and very nifty photo backdrop. The combination makes for a stunning result. What is the source of your landscape backdrop? Did you paint it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that the company that made the railroad backdrop is called Peco. They have a nice variety of backdrops.

      Delete
  2. Superb work and I love the fact that they are posed in a landscape:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely figures and a nice background too.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
  4. If only I could manage photography to this standard! Very inspiring. Nice to see an RSM gunner amongst the Minden crew figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All I use is an iPad camera for these pictures. Then when you view them in the edit mode you can play around with the light and the color.

      Delete
    2. Thanks. Yes - I think the trick is also in the careful set-up you used.

      Delete
  5. Nice work fritz - a photo booth is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice regiment; the photo booth setup is very effective

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool minis. The background is also very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the Hungarians. Thanks for posting the pic of your new photo booth too - very useful. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete