Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Day 2: at the Berliner Zinnfiguren Store



Tuesday morning came around much too quickly, but with 7-8 hours of sleep I feel that I have adjusted to the time zone differences. I had a nice breakfast of meat, cheese and croissants with orange juice at the hotel, figuring that Ken Bunger would show up. When he didn't, I decided to hightail it down to the Berliner Zinnfiguren store, just a block down the street from my hotel, and get a head start on Ken in the search for literary treasures.

An amusing fantasy airship hanging from the rafters.

Mr.Bunger at work in the 18th Century section of the book shelves.



A view of the front entry from the inside. The walls were lined with shelves full of painted flats.

Some First Legion brand of Prussian toy soldiers.


Some fabulous flats - Prussian Hussars. Can you identify the regiment?


Baron von Munchausen, of course.

More Prussians...


Large flats: 60-70mm?

I am in awe of the painting talent displayed in this carriage vignette.


After about a thirty minute head start, I called Ken and told him to meet me down at the bookstore. I turned around and there was Richard Rubottom from our tour too. I found three or four books full of pictures of the Saxon army of the SYW and a color booklet on Augustus the Strong. That should provide a clue about one of my next projects.

Ken showed up within minutes of my calling him and he made a beeline straight for the 18th Century section and he soon had acquired a stack of books. He found a set of maps for the Prussian General Staff collection of books and gave it to me, thank you very much. One nice thing about Berliner Zinnfiguren , they will ship your books home to you so that one doesn't have to lug them around every one of Frederick's battlefields .

Richard, Ken and I then took a break from books to get some lunch. We then all split off our separate ways, I'm headed to Charlottenburg Palace this afternoon.

9 comments:

  1. Hope you have a wonderful on your tour. Did you purchase any figures while at the store? Please let us all know what you thought to be the highlight of this Frederician jaunt!
    Jerry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are returning on the second to last day of our trip. I might purchase some painted flats for display and maybe some unpainted flats so that I can give it a try.

      Delete
  2. Didn't get time to go to the shop when in Berlin this year - good to know whats there - on the list for next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great store and certainly one to visit if I'm ever in Berlin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have fun in Berlin! I always enjoy going to the Berliner Zinnfiguren store. Cheers, Karl

    ReplyDelete
  5. "An amusing fantasy airship hanging from the rafters"
    Is that The Albatross from Jules Verne' Master of the World?

    The store looks wonderful! Reminds me of the old Sholdier Shop in New York City.

    ReplyDelete
  6. After seeing these photo's of the shop my wife said I'm only allowed to visit Berlin when we win the lottery and get a bigger house.
    I could be happily lost for days there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you Jim!
    Relax and enjoy it all.
    Cheers,
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful day beautifully described Jim. Looking forward to following your trip.

    ReplyDelete